One of the main reasons the NFL is the most popular professional sport in the United States (by a wide margin) is parity. The idea that teams can turn things around with one strong offseason is very real, and can be confirmed with one look at the current Super Bowl 53 matchup odds.
As usual, the New England Patriots are among the front-runners in the AFC. Their chief competition, though, is coming from a couple of surprise teams.
In the NFC, the Philadelphia Eagles have a lot of work to do to defend their conference title.
With that being said, here is a look at the most likely matchups for Super Bowl 53 after six weeks, according to the oddsmakers in Vegas.
Odds courtesy of Sportsbook.ag as of October 20, 2018.
Los Angeles Rams vs. Baltimore Ravens (+2200)
Anyone who follows the NFL at all knows that the Rams are a really, really good football team. The Ravens, on the other hand, are one of the biggest surprise teams of the 2018 season. Baltimore’s defense is championship-caliber, but their Super Bowl hopes will hinge on the play of quarterback Joe Flacco.
New Orleans Saints vs. Kansas City Chiefs (+2200)
This potential matchup would have a strong chance at being the highest-scoring Super Bowl in NFL history. The Saints are currently scoring a league-high 36.0 points per game, while the Chiefs are averaging 35.8 points per game.
On top of that, this game would feature the two 2018 MVP front-runners in Drew Brees and Patrick Mahomes.
New Orleans Saints vs. New England Patriots (+1600)
Drew Brees vs. Tom Brady with a Super Bowl title on the line…What more could diehard NFL fans ask for?
Los Angeles Rams vs. Kansas City Chiefs (+1050)
This matchup would be a treat for NFL fans.
The Rams have one of the deepest and most talented rosters in recent NFL memory, while the Chiefs have one of the most high-powered offenses, led by second-year phenom Patrick Mahomes, the league has ever seen.
Los Angeles Rams vs. New England Patriots (+725)
Through seven weeks, the Rams look like the best team in the National Football League. Likewise, over the last three weeks, the Patriots have emerged as the team to beat in the AFC. When it comes down to it, it’s easy to see why Vegas is currently picking this as the most likely matchup for Super Bowl 53 next February.
Other notable potential matchups:
- Los Angeles Rams vs. Los Angeles Chargers (+2300)
- Los Angeles Rams vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (+2700)
- Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots (+2800)
- Minnesota Vikings vs. New England Patriots (+2800)
- Green Bay Packers vs. New England Patriots (+3000)
- Los Angeles Rams vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (+3000)
- Philadelphia Eagles vs. Kansas City Chiefs (+3500)
- Minnesota Vikings vs. Kansas City Chiefs (+3500)
More from The Odds-On Favorite:
- Revisiting the 2018 NFL Prop Bets: Here’s How You Could Have Won Big
- Fantasy Football Week 7 Waiver Wire Targets: TE’s and WR’s Aplenty
- 2018 NFL MVP Odds: Can Drew Brees Win His First Career MVP Award?